Friday March 7th, 2014
On March 7th, teachers across Rockland will get kids moving in the classroom and promote the connection between physical activity, academic achievement and health!
All participating Rockland County schools will receive a certificate of participation.
Special recognition will be given to schools with:
1) the highest total number of minutes of physical activity by school size
2) the highest number of minutes of physical activity per student
"Last year's participation in March Forward was a wonderful reminder of how important kinesthetic activity was in the classroom for my students, especially in English (the subject I teach). Whether its my classes competing against one another in my SAT "Angry Birds" challenge by throwing plush toy "birds" at a stack of cups to rack up points after answering reading and writing questions correctly, or it playing a quick round of team charades prior to public speaking, my students are learning, engaged and having fun by moving their bodies. March Forward is by far one of my favorite initiatives put forward in education as of late."
North Rockland High School English Dept
What some Rockland schools are planning to:
- Play dance music at designated times for whole-school participation
- Play a popular hip hop dance video on the smart board for the students (and teacher) to follow. Ask the students for their favorite.
- Create a 5-minute exercise video involving the school's PE teachers and students and make it available for students and teachers to follow along to
- Adapt the brain break activities (listed in the side bar to the right of this page) to the needs and interests of students