Free Guided Park Walk: Atop Hook MountainSun 04.22.2012
Join Docent Marianne Bloomfeld on this 3-mile more moderate (2.5 sneaker) walk for 360 degree views on top of The Hook--700 feet above the Hudson. Walkers will be delighted with scenic views of the Hudson River. The Docent will discuss flora, fauna and geology of the area, Ain't Nature Grand!...
When: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM SUNDAY, APRIL 22
Join Docent Marianne Bloomfeld on this 3-mile more moderate (2.5 sneaker) walk for 360 degree views on top of The Hook--700 feet above the Hudson. Walkers will be delighted with scenic views of the Hudson River. The Docent will discuss flora, fauna and geology of the area, Ain't Nature Grand!
Most of the walk is moderate, but there are a few short, steep sections. The walk is linear. It goes east until it meets the Long Path. Then we go south to a high point on Hook Mountain overlooking the Hudson and Rockland Lake. We will focus on the natural beauty of the area. We will spend about 15 minutes at the top before returning along the same route we used to go up. The terrain is a mostly cleared trail through woods.
Walkers will meet in the rear of the parking lot at Rockland Lake State Park Executive Golf Course located in Congers, NY (10920)
Directions: From New City, take Congers Road and continue on it, bearing left, as it becomes Lake Road. At the traffic light on 9W (facing the North park entrance), make a right onto 9W. Go 1.2 miles to traffic light and turn left, into the South Park entrance. Keep right, passing parking lot #4 on your left, for 0.4 miles to the Executive Golf Course entrance road (Executive Road). Turn right and go 0.2 miles. Turn left into an unmarked driveway and park to the rear of the lot, away from the Clubhouse/golf course. Parking here is free.
About the Guided Walks:
- Pre-registration for all walks is suggested. Call: 845-708-7307 or e-mail email@example.com.
- All walks are rain or shine.
- Participants should wear proper footwear (closed-toe sturdy shoes such as walking shoes/boots or sneakers) and clothing (light-colored) and seasonally appropriate attire such as a jacket, hat, or gloves depending on the weather and bring along binoculars, water, sunscreen, a snack, and walking sticks if desired. Hiking boots preferred.
- As with any physical activity program, it is recommended you speak to your physician before starting.
- For more information about the trails visit www.rocklandsteps.org/walks
- For more information about the guided walks call 845-708-7307 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Guided Park Walks are sponsored by the Rockland County Division of Environmental Resources, the Rockland County Youth Bureau’s AmeriCorps program and the Rockland County Department of Health’s Steps to a Healthier Rockland program.